Requesting Access to the Medical Portal
Health care providers who would like to request Board authorization or use the Medical Portal to access training, the MTG Lookup Tool, Drug Formulary Lookup Tool or OnBoard will need to request a Board-assigned NY.gov user ID and password .
The following types of health care providers may request access:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Physician Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapist
If you are a health care provider and your specialty is not one of those listed, if you need access to OnBoard to submit Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bills (Form HP-1.0), you will need to request access as a Medical Supplier.
- Your health care provider NPI is required.
- Nurse practitioners must request access using their RN license.
- You will need to provide your email address. This should be your individual work email address, not a group or practice email address.
- Watch video: Signing Up for the NYS Workers' Compensation Board Medical Portal
Request Access to the Medical Portal
CMS-1500 XML Submission Agreement
After logging into the Medical Portal, providers who have not already signed up for XML submission of the CMS-1500, will see a link "Agreement for XML submission of CMS-1500" under the Billing section.
Select the link and click the "I Accept" button. The provider's name will be added to the Listing of Providers Authorized to Submit XML Data (MS Excel), which is updated daily. Once accepted, the link will no longer appear on subsequent logins.
Note: The Board posts a list of approved XML submission partners and their contact information if a provider wants to find an XML submission partner who can submit CMS-1500 files on their behalf.
Learn more about the CMS-1500 Initiative.
Health Care Provider Online Administration
All health care providers who have access to the Medical Portal will automatically be granted access to an online Health Care Provider administration function for the Medical Portal. This will enable health care providers to add delegated users to assist with the drafting of PARs and submitting Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bills (Form HP-1.0) in OnBoard.
The health care provider (administrator) will use their Medical Portal login credentials to access Health Care Provider Administration application to assign delegates.
Important Information about Medical Portal Administration
Your PAR notifications will be sent to the email address entered in My Profile.
You may also use My Profile to update your mailing address. Your mailing address is used for communications from the Board, as well as in OnBoard for PARs and HP-1.0 forms.
Health care providers can add users that will be allowed to access OnBoard on their behalf to perform functions based on roles that are assigned to them.
A user with this role will be allowed to:
- Draft PARs, which must be reviewed and submitted by the health care provider.
- Draft escalations to Level 2 Medication PARs, which must be reviewed and submitted by the health care provider.
- Draft PAR escalations to Level 3 for Medical Director's Office review.
- Respond to insurer requests for information (must be designated by the health care provider from within OnBoard.
- Draft and submit Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0).
If a health care provider has multiple delegates, the health care provider and all delegates and will be able to edit any drafted PAR and view all active, submitted and resolved PAR requests for the health care provider. They will also be able to edit and submit any drafted Form HP-1.0 and view all submitted HP-1.0 forms.
This role may only draft and submit Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bills (Form HP-1.0). If a health care provider has multiple billing delegates, the health care provider and all billing delegates will be able to edit and submit any drafted Form HP-1.0 and view all submitted HP-1.0 forms for that health care provider.
*If the health care provider uses a billing agent to submit their medical bills, the health care provider will need to set up user accounts for any employee of the billing agent who will be allowed to submit Form HP-1.0 on behalf of the provider.
04/01/2022 - Important Recommendations for Providers Related to OnBoard: Limited Release
Adding a User
- Select the Add User button from either the Billing Delegate or Provider Delegate screen.
- Enter the requested user's information and submit.
- A pop-up message with a confirmation of the submission will appear.
- User requests are processed in the order that they are received. Access may be granted as early as the following business day or may take three to five businesses for processing.
- The user's login credentials will be emailed to the email address entered in the request.
Modifying a User
You can update a user's information by selecting the Modify button in the row containing that user.
Select the menu option for the role you would like to assign. The first table will contain a list of all users who have already been assigned the role. Below that table, is a table with any users that you have added previously, who do not currently have that role. Select the row containing the user from the table and choose the Add button. It will take approximately 20 minutes for the system to assign the role to the user.
Removing a Role
Select the user from the first table and choose the Remove button. It will take approximately 20 minutes for the system to remove the role from the user.
Health Care Provider Online Administration
For technical assistance with requesting access to the Medical Portal or Health Care Provider Online Administration, please email WCBCustomerSupport@wcb.ny.gov. Please include in the email your Medical Portal username and a description or screenshot of the issue.