Proof of Coverage-Workers' Compensation
Electronic Filing Requirement for all
NYS Workers' Compensation Proof of Coverage (POC)
It is necessary for all insurance carriers to file New York State Workers' Compensation Proof of Coverage (POC) information electronically.
The flat file format used by the Board was developed by the International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions (IAIABC) EDI Task Group, POC Subcommittee. An explanation of the data elements and specifications for this EDI format can be found in the IAIABC EDI Implementation Guide for POC 2.1. The POC 2.1 Implementation Guide can be obtained from the "IAIABC Web Site" by navigating to the Implementation Guides found under the EDI section.
Proof of Coverage filings may be submitted by selecting an approved third party vendor to submit EDI files in the IAIABC EDI format. In addition, the Board's web-based IAIABC Proof of Coverage data entry application allows submission of individual transactions by registered users.
There is no charge for electronic filing via the Board's web based IAIABC Proof of Coverage data entry application.
- If you are part of a carrier group, please arrange for electronic filing for all of the carriers in your group that do business with the NYS Workers' Compensation Board.
- There are NO CHANGES in the relevant application of the NYS statutes governing the requirements of carriers/ employers for submitting timely proof of coverage; only the format has changed.
- It is important to understand the way these POC transactions will be applied and utilized for proof of coverage in NYS. Please see the IAIABC POC Transaction Guidelines.
How Carriers Register for Electronic POC Filing in an IAIABC Format
Carriers may submit electronic POC filings in an IAIABC format by:
- Registering with an approved third-party vendor who gathers and formats the data for EDI submission, OR
- Registering to obtain access to the Board's Web-based IAIABC Proof of Coverage data entry application.
Approved Third Party Vendors
Insurance Services Office and NCCI are the third party vendors that have been approved by the NYS Workers' Compensation Board to submit POC information in an IAIABC format. Carriers may contact these approved vendors at the following:
Insurance Services Office, Inc.
545 Washington Blvd.
Jersey City, NJ 07310-1686
Sales and Business Contact:
Phone: (201) 469-2375
www.ncci.com or 1-800-NCCI-123