OnBoard is an application that is accessed from the Medical Portal. OnBoard: Limited Release is the first phase of OnBoard, designed to move key processes for health care providers, medical suppliers and claim administrators from paper to online. Included is the prior authorization request (PAR) process for medication, durable medical equipment, and medical treatment/testing, as well the submission of Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0).
Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0)
Request for Decision on Unpaid Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0) is used to ask the Board to make a determination whether a claim administrator should pay a medical bill, which they previously declined to pay in full, or in part, for services rendered to a patient who has a workers' compensation case.
Medical suppliers (ancillary medical providers), such as ambulance companies, durable medical equipment suppliers, inpatient hospitals, laboratories, mental health clinics, outpatient clinics, outpatient hospitals, pharmacies, psychiatric hospitals, or health care providers not listed on the Medical Portal New User Access and Administration for Health Care Providers web page will use OnBoard to submit Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0)
Note: The HP-1.0 form is submitted through OnBoard, but the rest of the process remains the same.
Access & Administration
Medical suppliers need to log into the Medical Portal to access OnBoard. Every user will need their own login credentials; a single login cannot be provided to an organization to be used by all users who are part of that organization. There is no limit to the number of users an organization can have.
Medical billing companies cannot request direct access to the Medical Portal. If a medical supplier will be delegating the submission of their medical bill disputes to the medical billing company, the medical supplier will need to request access for the billing agent's employee(s) who is responsible for submitting the Request for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0) on their behalf.
Learn more about how to access the Medical Portal and online administration of users for OnBoard by visiting Medical Portal New User Access and Administration for Medical Suppliers.
Forms within OnBoard are called eForms. These interactive, browser-based screens pre-populate with any known data and guide the user to fill in any remaining required information.
- Validate information to flag inaccuracies or incomplete items before submission.
- Allow attachment of necessary documentation, such as medical bills, Notice of Treatment Issue/Disputed Bill (Form C-8.1) and Notice to Health Care Provider and Injured Worker of a Carrier's Refusal to Pay All (or a Portion of) a Medical Bill Due to Valuation Objection(s) (Form C-8.4).
- Can be saved as a draft and completed at another time.
- Can be downloaded as a PDF once submitted - see how to view, print or download documents in OnBoard or see sample PDFs.
- Medical suppliers have an easy-to-use dashboard to be able to view HP-1.0 forms that are in draft and those that have been submitted.
- You will be able to view, download, or print a copy of the HP-1.0 form from the submitted tab on the dashboard.
- More detailed information can be found on the Medical Supplier Training - Dashboard Overview page.
A copy of the medical bill must be attached. Additional documents, such as detailed medical narrative, grouper calculation report, pro-rata agreement between co-surgeons; or invoice for medical supplies may also be attached for the Board's consideration.
To submit Form HP-1.0, users will need to first search for the injured worker's case by either entering the WCB case number or claim administrator's claim number (carrier case number) and two of the following:
- Date of injury
- Last four digits of patient's Social Security number
- Patient's date of birth
- Patient's last name
The system will not allow Form HP-1.0 to be submitted if no matching claim is found.
More detailed information can be found on the Medical Suppliers Training - Claim Search page
Training & Resources
- Intro to OnBoard: Video
- OnBoard: Limited Release Phase One / Medication PARs & Requests for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0) Q&A Webinar for Health Care Providers & Medical Suppliers – March 2022: Video / Slides
- OnBoard: Limited Release Training for Medical Suppliers – Phase One / Requests for Decision on Unpaid Medical Bill(s) (Form HP-1.0) – March 2022: Video / Slides
Questions about OnBoard?
- Email email@example.com
- Contact WCB Customer Support
Get Involved & Stay Informed
The Board is committed to partnering with our external stakeholders throughout the project to gain critical input to ensure the new system addresses their needs. Keep an eye on our upcoming webinars page for upcoming OnBoard Project webinar announcements. Your thoughts, concerns, and ideas are always welcome and appreciated. You can reach the OnBoard Project Team at OnBoard@wcb.ny.gov.
The Board will also be sharing regular updates as we make progress on this important project. To stay informed on the OnBoard Project, please watch this page and subscribe for email updates.