Workers' Compensation Coverage
The Advocate for Business
What is the Advocate for Business?
The Advocate for Business is the primary liaison between New York's business community and New York's workers' compensation system. The office was created by legislation to give employers one place to call to get answers to their workers' compensation questions.
The Advocate for Business:
- Assists individual businesses with coverage questions, understanding their experience modification and classifications, and in complying with the workers' compensation law;
- Educates business owners and government personnel on how the workers' compensation system works and the role that each participant plays in the system; and
- Hears the concerns of business associations and employer groups regarding workers' compensation, reports those concerns to the chair of the Workers' Compensation Board, and offers possible solutions to address the issues.
As the "business ambassador," the advocate for business works closely with the governor's staff, members of the Legislature, the State Insurance Fund, and the New York Compensation Insurance Rating Board to assist their constituents with various workers' compensation-related problems.
The advocate for business handles a wide variety of inquiries and requests for assistance from businesses of all sizes and industry types. However, a large number of inquiries come from small business owners seeking assistance in handling issues they have been unable to resolve through their own means.
If you as a member of the business community have attempted to resolve a workers' compensation issue without success, please call me at 1-800-628-3331 or e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. It will be a pleasure to see if the Office of the Advocate for Business can assist you.
- Complete company name
- Company contact person
- Telephone number and fax number
- E-mail address
- Insurance carrier and policy number
- Employer unemployment insurance identification number (xx-xxxxx) or federal employment identification number
- Brief description of the problem and any correspondence received
What Business Owners Must Know about Workers' Compensation
Prove It to Move It Program – WC & DB proof requirements for gov't permits, licenses or contracts.