What is an R Number?
An R Number is a Workers' Compensation Board assigned identifier used to identify:
- Attorneys, attorney firms or licensed representatives representing injured workers, employers, carriers, third-party administrators, and Special Funds Conservation Committee.
Who is eligible for an R Number?
- Any attorney, attorney firm, or licensed representative is eligible to request an R Number from the Workers' Compensation Board.
When would Attorneys, Attorney Firms or Licensed Representatives use their R Number?
- Their R number should be included on all correspondence with the Board, including forms OC-400, OC-400.1, RFA-1 and RFA-2.
- IF User IDs and passwords have been previously granted to attorneys, attorney firms or licensed representatives, to access the Board's electronic case folder system, referred to as eCase, these users may view cases where their R number is listed as a party of interest.
- An R Number is required if attorneys, attorney firms or licensed representatives would like to retrieve their claims notices electronically rather than through the mail.
[Information about online business with the Board is available from the Online Services web page.]
Do Attorneys, Attorney Firms or Licensed Representatives need an R Number to be placed on notice for a case?
- An R Number is required to be placed on notice for a case as a representative of an injured worker, carrier, self-insured employer, third-party administrator, or Special Funds Conservation Committee.
- An R Number is required to be placed on notice for a case as a representative of an injured worker or an employer with no insurance.
- Upon submission of:
- Form OC-400, Notice of Retainer and Substitution, or
- Form OC-406, Notice of Retainer and Substitution on Behalf of Employer,
How do Attorneys, Attorney Firms or Licensed Representatives request an R Number?
You may submit an online request for an R Number or you can submit a request in writing on official letterhead to:
Workers' Compensation Board
Attn: Customer Support, Room 154
328 State Street
Schenectady, NY 12305
The request must include the attorney's, attorney firm's or licensed representative's name, address and telephone number, exactly as it should appear on the notices.