R Numbers for Attorneys, Attorney Firms
and Licensed Representatives
What is an R Number?
An R Number is a Workers' Compensation Board assigned identifier used to identify:
- Attorneys, attorney firms or licensed representatives representing injured workers, employers, carriers, third party administrators, and Special Funds Conservation Committee.
Who is eligible for an R Number?
- Any attorney, attorney firm, or licensed representative is eligible to request an R Number from the Workers' Compensation Board.
When would Attorneys, Attorney Firms or Licensed Representatives use their R Number?
- Their R number should be included on all correspondence with the Board, including forms OC-400, OC-400.1, RFA-1 and RFA-2.
- IF User IDs and passwords have been previously granted to attorneys, attorney firms or licensed representatives, to access the Board's electronic case folder system, referred to as eCase, these users may view cases where their R number is listed as a party of interest.
- An R Number is required if attorneys, attorney firms or licensed representatives would like to retrieve their claims notices electronically rather than through the mail.
[Information about on-line business with the Board is available from the On-line Services web page.]
Do Attorneys, Attorney Firms or Licensed Representatives need an R Number to be placed on notice for a case?
- An R Number is required to be placed on notice for a case as a representative of a carrier, self-insured employer, third party administrator, or Special Funds Conservation Committee.
- An R Number is not required to be placed on notice for a case as a representative of an injured worker or an employer with no insurance.
- Upon submission of:
the attorney, attorney firm or licensed representative is placed on notice regardless of whether or not they have an R Number.
- Form OC-400, Notice of Retainer and Substitution, or
- Form OC-406, Notice of Retainer and Substitution on Behalf of Employer,
How do Attorneys, Attorney Firms or Licensed Representatives request an R Number?
submit an on-line request for an R Number or you can submit a request in writing on official letterhead to:
The Workers' Compensation Board
Office of Operations
100 Broadway - Room 402
Albany, NY 12241
The request must include the attorney's, attorney firm's or licensed representative's name, address and telephone number, exactly as it should appear on the notices.