Proof of Coverage Penalties - Disability Benefits
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will penalties for disability benefits carriers begin?
The Board will implement the penalty process in a series of stages. In the first stage, the Board will assess penalties against workers' compensation carriers. In the second stage, the Board will reconcile policy data with the disability benefits' carriers, after which disability benefits POC penalties will be issued.
- Will disability benefits carriers be notified when the process for issuing penalties will begin?
Disability Benefits Insurance Contract Bulletins will be issued prior to the implementation of the disability benefits penalties.
- What can carriers do now to prevent future penalties from being imposed?
The Board encourages all carriers to work closely with agents, brokers and policyholders to ensure that accurate policyholder information is timely forwarded to the carrier.
- What if the carrier wants to file an appeal?
Within thirty days of the date of the notice of penalty, submit written requests for re-determination review along with an explanation of any relevant facts and circumstances to the Penalty Review Unit, NYS Workers' Compensation Board, 328 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12305-2318.
- How will insurance carriers file an appeal when the automated process for penalties is implemented?
Carriers must be registered for Insurance Compliance Inquiry in order to obtain a detailed transaction report, summary report and to file their appeal.
- Who can I contact if I have a question?
If you have any questions, please contact the Bureau of Compliance, Data Administration Unit at: firstname.lastname@example.org