Workers' compensation in New York is a modern and sophisticated social insurance system operating on an infrastructure designed decades ago. This project re-imagines workers' compensation in New York and builds a new infrastructure that takes advantage of new technology, best practices, and 100 years of experience. The goal of this project is to re-create a workers' compensation system that will once again serve as a model for the nation.
The Board expects to re-engineer its core processes in a way that streamlines the system, reduces friction costs, better serves our stakeholders, leverages state-of-the-art technology to our best advantage, and improves customer service to injured workers and businesses.
The Board plans to achieve the following key benefits:
- Improve timely first payment of indemnity benefits.
- Facilitate the delivery of appropriate medical care faster.
- Improve the process for reporting medical treatment.
- Reduce the administrative burden on medical providers and other stakeholders.
- Reduce reliance on paper forms.